Sunday, February 6, 2011

I wanted to move, but now I don't.

Moving is rough on anybody. It's hot, exhausting work no matter who you are or how you go about it. My d.h. is a healthy person. Strong, in pretty good shape, and able to handle quite a lot, but even he looked at me the other day and said "if my legs and feet hurt, and I'm this tired, I can't imagine how you're feeling". We just moved (hopefully for the last time) 750 miles or so in August, in the East Coast's heat wave and....ugh. I'm really, really done. 
But besides all that, let's get to the topics at hand for today, shall we? I've written probably four blogs in my head over the last week of my absence, but the machine I need to transcribe my thoughts and all the writing I do in my head into word documents, or paper, or blog, or whatever hasn't been invented yet, so I'll have to do my best to remember some of what I was thinking of writing and share it with you. 
I'm incensed and crushed by the new diagnostic criteria being passed off by the American College of Rheumatology (ACR). They are attempting to remove the tender point examination which has been a defining diagnostic characteristic ( http://www.fmaware.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=9685&AddInterest=1002 ). It's hard enough to get a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia, but now....without this specific characteristic observed in fibromites, are we doomed to go back to being told it's a hysterical woman's disease? That it's all in our heads? Will it be a psychological illness instead of a neurological one? Tell me, dear readers....what do you think of this step backwards?
This announcement comes on the heels of a wonderful neurological study that was actually moving Fibro forward. Researchers from Mass. General Hospital and University of Michigan were actually able to see differences in the brains of Fibro patients. The connectivity was higher in the pain centers, and through functional MRI's (fMRIs), the researchers could even see the correlation in patients that stated they were in greater pain. ( http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/content/healthday/641874.html ). Please read this article and share it with your friends and family. I was so exited to see that physical evidence actually exists for Fibro, and now the ACR is trying to move backward. Crushing. 
Finally, one more note on moving and Fibro. I have moved eight times in the past 12 years, five of those moves being after Fibro symptoms started developing, and I am honestly surprised at how difficult this particular move has been for me. Is it because the brain and the body are wired to forget pain (otherwise no one would ever have more than one child!) or has my syndrome progressed? I know we get told that Fibro doesn't progress like Lupus or many other disorders and diseases, but mine seems to. So I still wonder occasionally if it's something else and all of our medical technology just hasn't found it yet. 
I find that when the pain and nausea are at their worst, I escape into writing in my head. Where do you go, my fellow fibromites? What's your escape from the pain? Seriously, somebody needs to invent that machine for me.....

No comments:

Post a Comment