Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Music = Freedom

Music is my air. This isn't news to those of you that know me, even casually, but especially if you know me well. There isn't a time in my life that I don't remember music not speaking to me. More simply put, music has always been with me, in me, and speaking for me. I was one of those kids that had my mom buy me a 45 when I was 5 instead of a toy. I had toys and dolls too, don't get me wrong, but I started collecting music in kindergarten.
The beats, the rhythm, in music offers a freedom found no where else in my world for me. I wanted to be a professional dancer and started classes by the time I was 7. I got in trouble when I was about 8 and a half for telling my dance instructor that I thought I should be in the next level jazz class because I thought I was good enough and age shouldn't matter. I didn't get in the class, but I did get in a lot of trouble for "being rude".
Gaga has a line in one of her songs stating "find your freedom in the music" and it dawned on me as I was driving around listening to "dance in the dark" on "The Fame Monster" lo(ow)dly that I indeed find freedom in music.
I then began to wonder if any of this accounts for being pissed off at the world sometimes. It's one thing to realize in your late teens that you'll never be a dancer, it's another thing entirely to have a hip replacement at 33 and see a lot more taken away from you than you were ready to give up. I was a dancer in another life, and the amazing thing is it has helped protect me post surgery in ways that amaze my doctors when it comes to addressing my limitations.
I have been told by several of my closest peeps that I am only truly free and happy on the dance floor and the joy in watching me dance is seeing that on my face and in my heart. I find my freedom in the music.
Although I have never written a song, and I can only play the guitar or the drums bad enough to get kicked out of any rehearsal, I can remix music. I can recognize beat transitions, and I can deejay better than 95% of the people I have seen or ever heard. My dream job would be to be a program director for a radio or satellite station with the freedom to really change how music get played on the airways.
There is not a time in my life that doesn't have a musical connection. Music speaks and breathes for me. It breathes life into me. Find YOUR freedom in the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment