Monday, March 14, 2011

Warning: Grammar Nazi Rant

I just got an email telling me that I had a message on Facebook. I went to check Facebook and read said message and I started to twitch. "What is wrong with me?" I thought. "Why doesn't anybody else have this tiny little grammar Nazi inside of them?"

The only thing that drives me more crazy than using 'to" when you really mean 'too'....as in: in addition, or along with, is using 'your' when one might really mean you are or "you're".

It drives me up the wall. And I have to wonder if I am just really that OCD? Does nobody else hear this tiny voice that growls when they read "me to"? Doesn't it bug the hell out of you when you read "your okay"? Did I get issued a little grammar and spelling correction officer in my head in elementary school and miss it? Why does this drive me nuts when essentially the rest of the population could care less?

I have been writing since I was in middle school and I have always had an affinity for language as opposed to say...math. So I'm thinking it may just be that I pay more attention to language than most. I know the difference between 'wandering" (meandering around) and 'wondering (pondering....thinking about). Or 'they're' (they are), 'their' (showing ownership), and there (pertaining to the location). I have a compulsion to make sure I use to, too, and two correctly and my biggest OCD is probably 'your' and 'you're'. (And, yes, I do alphabetize my DVDs.)

I don't expect the general population to know when to use who and whom correctly because most people learn enough language to communicate effectively and leave it at that....and that's fine. But for the love of gawd, hit the 'o' button just one more time when you mean to express inclusion and turn 'to' into 'too'. Make friends with the apostrophe key and express "you are" in the tidy little "you're".

I'm certainly no where near perfect in my language use and I got plenty of corrections on my papers in college. I rush through typing in guild chat and miss a letter, or occasionally screw up the entire word. I get it. I shut the Grammar Nazi up a lot. But she definitely pokes her head up at too, to, and two. And your and you're. "Shut UP!", I tell her, "nobody else cares.....and for the most part people get their point across".

She annoys me, that snotty little spelling tyrant.

No comments:

Post a Comment